Fast Forward, Pause or Play?

Saturday, March 27, 2004

To boldly go...back to school

I knew that the march back to the ivory towers of academe after having been away just 5 years would yield a few nuggets of learnin' here or there. What I did not expect is that these nuggets might teach things about myself. Here's what I have learned so far...I enjoy writing and seem to have some knack for it. It's as if I have a writing itch that needs a thorough and cathartic scratching lately, and I don't know how it got there. My team members have caught on to this and have assigned me editorial duties on our case studies. I am happy to oblige, but my perfectionist tendencies to get just the right meaning out of a word or phrase is time-consuming. Hopefully, it gets easier with practice.

Another thing I've learned - never having taken a psychology course in my entire academic life, I find it fascinating to listen and read and think about the organizational behavior constructs and constraints in my Managerial Effectiveness class. Some might find the grayness of this course confounding, as there is no right answer, just different points of view and ways to justify it. I find it liberating. In some ways, it is no different from my research days, playing with different variables and observing the effects, looking for patterns and paradigms, imposing order and systems upon apparent disorder. But of course, here the subject matter is fickle and infinitely more complex - people.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home