Fast Forward, Pause or Play?

Friday, March 12, 2004

Reality bites!
I think I was more enamored with the concept of business school rather than the reality of it. The brochures and campus visits and websites all play up the glossy happy images of professionally dressed and well-groomed students gathered around some conference table somewhere, caught up in discussion of some high concept business theory. What they fail to show is the darker reality - long lonely nights staying up to the wee hours just trying to finish up that stats problem set you thought would only take a couple hours to solve and it is three days later and it still eludes you. All this knowing that in 4.5 hours, you will have to wake up and go to a full-time job with full-time problems (er, challenges and opportunities). It used to be that in college (or even grad school), if I did poorly on a test or exam, I would say "I'll just spend more time studying" and get caught up by the next test. Well, I found out this week that I bombed my first financial accounting quiz. And I have no elasticity with time here - my Prof tells me "you just need to do more problem sets." OK, let me quit my job first, that should free up some time. It's challenging enough to keep work at work, reserving my evenings and weekends for hitting the accounting/stats/management problem sets and readings. They say it will get easier, and I can only believe it and keep plugging away. At least now, when they bring the prospective students around, I can flash them a weary smile and say "yeah, they keep us pretty busy around here."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home